Share Your Story

I am a very fortunate and healthy breast cancer survivor, which always makes October and Breast Cancer Awareness Month special to me. I was actually diagnosed with breast cancer during Breast Cancer Awareness Month in 2003. It was also the month of October, two years later when, unbeknownst to me at the time, our lavender farm began to evolve into a bath & body business. You can read more about my story HERE.

You know my story, I want to hear your story! During the month of October, please share a story with us of someone you love that is currently battling breast cancer or is a breast cancer survivor. By using the hash tag #LavenderWithLove, we will be tracking stories and will be doing random drawings throughout the month.  If your story is chosen, we will send a beautiful box of #LavenderWithLove products to the person whose story you shared with us - from you, compliments of Hummingbird Farms. And of course, if you are a breast cancer survivor or currently being treated, please send us your own story as well, and your name will be included in the drawings.

There are several ways you can get your story to us:

  1. You can reach us directly by using the form below to share your story.   
  2. You can send us a video or a story to our Facebook page HERE or you can private message us through Facebook.
  3. You can send us a video or direct message us via Instagram HERE.

If you choose to reach us via Facebook or Instagram, be sure and use hash tag #LavenderWithLove so we can find your story. I really look forward to building a community of stories that will inspire us all. And more importantly, stories that I believe always lead to a silver lining.

Health & Happiness,

Share Your Story

Wow! On April 1, 2016 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am an Oncology RN and at the time had been working in a Chemotherapy Infusion center in a breast center. Not a good April Fools. But like everything else in my life I used humor to get through. 18 mo later my journey has included 5 months of neo adjuvant Chemo (AC-THP) a bilateral mastectomy.. 6 weeks of radiation... a year of monthly herceptin and perjeta Targeted infusions... ovarian suppression and an AI. During this time i only missed work for surgery... I did cut my hours to 3-10 hour days... in December I will have my ovaries removed and FINALLY reconstruction!!! I feel my experience has made my work my life’s work and mission to help others through!!!


My mom had a best friend Cathy since elementary school. She was a second mom to me. We celebrated birthdays and special occasions with her family. Her son became my little brother. She was always there for me. They moved to Corpus Christi and our families lost touch, but the only good news from Cathy's diagnosis of breast cancer was that we re-connected to our second family. It saddens me to say that we lost her a little over two years ago, but she is always in my heart and mind. She guided me in so many matters. I love and miss her so much!


A few years ago my former SRSU co-worker, Aster Trevino, told me she felt a lump on her breast. She said the lump was very hard, bigger than a gumball but smaller than a ping pong ball and it HURT. She went to a doctor in Odessa, who sent her to another for a biopsy. When she finally received the results, she called to tell me that the lump was cancerous and that she was at stage 3. I was speechless and didn't know what to say. She had a mastectomy and underwent weeks of chemotherapy and weeks of radiation. When she had radiation treatments everyday for six to eight weeks, she had to temporarily move from Alpine to Odessa, away from her husband and son. What was incredible about my friend, Aster, was that the entire time she underwent these treatments, she had a very positive attitude and managed to remain cheerful! Even though she felt sick, she managed to get up each day, put on makeup and go to work. We all think that her positive attitude helped her overcome and beat cancer.

While undergoing these treatments, her father got sick and she would travel to Uvalde on the weekends to be with and help him in anyway she could. I still remember when she went directly from Odessa to Uvalde, after a treatment, to see her father because he was in the hospital. They called her to let her know that she needed to hurry because his health was failing fast. She talked to him on the phone. When she arrived at the hospital, they told her that he passed away after he talked to her. She was devastated and we were all afraid that this tragedy was going to affect her health. She managed to get through this. She also kicked cancer's butt and is cancer free. She now lives in Uvalde with her husband and is a grandmother of three. She still has a positive attitude, a smile on her face and ready to help anyone in need. I am so proud to call her my very good friend.

Virginia Carrillo
Alpine, Texas

I'm a 27 year survivor of breast cancer. It was a starling event in my life because after doing a self examination and discovering the lump, I thought my life was at its end. And, when I walked in the doctor's office, all the patients were much older. At the time I was only 45 years old with 7 beautiful children to raise. But, after all the examinations and treatments, I then had to go through chemo. That was a story by itself. I was still working fulltime, chemo on Wednesday after work and back Monday morning with the usual meetings and technical assignments. This was a very trying time for me but I soon learned that I had to stay positive and I had a great suppose group with my sister-in-laws and my friends. Thank God for the persons that suppose breast cancer and come to the aid of people that are scared and have no earthly idea what to expect. Now there's so much technology that you can find a lot of the answers for yourself. But, 1990 was not as full with so much information.

Theola M. Breaux

Last March I turned 50. The following month my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Followed by a radical Proscetomy. I always go for my mammogram around my birthday. But life was a bit busy so I went in May. I went for the follow up and was told my test were good. I said I felt a lump and showed my Dr He said it felt like nothing. Said I was fine. A few weeks later it stared to hurt. I was told cancer does not hurt. Back to the Dr and he said we should biopsy this time We'll that changed everything I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer so that ment lumpectomy/partial mascetomy and 5 months of chemo. We were devastated. My sons wedding was a month away my first born. How could I be bald and put a cloud over the special day thankfully it worked out that I started chemo two days after the wedding. The process began. Ironically I am a hairdresser and have shaved a few heads Iover the years for breast cancer. This time it was my turn. I am telling my story because I could never have continued working if it weren't for my mom. She cleaned my house every Friday and made dinner. Every Thursday did laundry and changed my bed sheets. Not to mention she took turns going to chemo with my husband I would never have been able to work 4 days a week and take care of my house. Chemo was exhausting so if I was not working I was resting or sleeping. I would love to present her with basket if I won these wonderful products. Love to all my pink sisters

From Debi: Thank you for sharing your story! Absolutely your mom deserves a gift box! We will put her name in our drawing. What a wonderful mom you have! Hope you are healthy and happy

I just turned sixty and have never had a mammogram, breast cancer does not run in our family so I did not think I needed one.
My husband and I are drag racers and we were at a national drag racing event last year and Alexis Dejoria race team was offering free mammograms to people at the races. It was raining so we could not race so I went and got a free mammogram - I figured what the heck it's free. Well I got the call 2 weeks later they found something so I had to go in an have a 3d mammogram, still not concerned I asked if I could wait a few months we were still racing and I was told very quickly NO I needed to go within the next few weeks. I went to get the 3d Mammogram and then I was told I had to have a biopsy and that did NOT go well. In January of this year I had a partial mastectomy and luckily the surgeon was able to get good area to clean cells. I have had two clean mammograms since the surgery and both were good. My surgeon said I had won the lottery, "who goes to the drag races and just happens to get a free mammogram" , the early detection saved my life as I would have never gone to get a mammogram. Even though it is a very private matter I have been working with Alexis Dejoria and her breast cancer program and they aired my story on the NHRA live showing of the races and on their website to get other women, like me, to take part in their free mammogram program. I am healthy and thankful.
Donna Wright

From Debi: What a story, Donna! Thanks SO much for sharing! I am thrilled to know you are doing so well - and how wonderful of Alexis Dejoria to be offering free mammograms. I can’t imagie how good she must feel knowing she was the culprit of early detection and now your excellent prognosis! Love, Love your story AND Alexis!


My grandmother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I would love if I could surprise her with this lovely gift. I had the opportunity to try your products because a friend of mine uses them and told me I should try them in a recent trip we took. She told me all about your page and here I am. I know for a fact that you have some amazing products. My grandmother isn't just battling cancer but she recently lost her other half and it just made things worse. She is about to finish her first round of chemo. Hoping to hearing good news.

I am one of the lucky ones. I am a breast cancer survivor. I found out I had breast cancer at the age of 43. I was a divorced mother of three children, working full time, going thru chemotherapy treatments and radiation. The hardest for me was not the treatments was watching the fear in my children's eyes when they looked at me wondering if they were losing their mother. I had the "cancer look" - bald head, tired eyes, no energy, but not once did I let them think I was not going to beat the one thing that threatened their secure world. By the grace of God, I am now 64 years old and doing wonderful. My children are grown; I have two grandchildren and I remarried 4 years ago. Life does not end with a cancer diagnosis - it just makes you a stronger more determined woman to fight for what you have to look forward to - Hope. Life. Love.

October 14th,2016 was the date of my lumpectomy. The prognosis was to be a 'walk in the park". No worries as this was early and totally treatable. I was run through the cancer protocol, the same as was in place 60 years ago, with missteps and mistakes and out and out lies over and over again through each phase. I noticed on a printout from my oncologist and in fine print that the procedures I endured did not mean I was cancer free. The opposite of what the pre-op information was.
I won't go into all the details because, it just would not help anyone and it puts me in a state of anxiety that is just not worth it.. I must say this. Check out your providers. Cancer is big business. You may be just a big dollar sign.
Trying to change providers has been unsuccessful because, I cannot get them to release my records to a new provider. Not the hospital. Not the oncologist.


My story is our story...we have all been touched by cancer either personally, or through friends or family. I have had no less than 8 friends who have had breast cancer and one with recurrent, who recently had a mastectomy and reconstruction and is doing great!
One of my friends, Mary Ann and I were in the office restroom one day when she mentioned she had found a couple of lumps. She wanted me to see what I thought because I tended to be the community office doctor wanna be. I told her to get right over to her physician, which she did. After testing, she was sent to Emory Hospital where her biopsy and then mastectomy took place. Her Oncologist told her she had less than a 30% survival with this type of aggressive cancer and spread to lymph nodes. She almost gave up because the chemo made her so ill, but her Oncologist told her she would not make it without the chemo. He was a tough Doctor, and hats off to him, because he saved her life and she survived this cancer and has been cancer free for over 28 years! I tell this story because it was in the days leading up to some better drugs and breakthroughs and she has been an example of how survival is more than possible and is even more prevalent now! Her ability to pull out all stops even when wanting to throw in the towel, shows us the courage we as women have in times of struggle! It gave me such hope and allows me to tell this story to give others hope now!